Michigan Child Support Attorney Pursues Fair Arrangements

Respected firm serving Macomb and Oakland counties assists parents

It is well established that parents are legally responsible for meeting the needs of their sons and daughters, but serious conflicts over child support still occur. Whether parents are going through a divorce or never were married, Michigan has strict rules regarding child support obligations. Shatzman & Shatzman is an experienced family law firm with offices in Rochester Hills and St. Clair Shores. We offer knowledgeable guidance on a full range of child support matters, such as disputes that occur over missed payments and situations where an existing payment level should be revised due to a change in salary or some other circumstance.

Accomplished lawyer outlines standards used in Michigan child support matters

During a divorce, we give parents the information and support they need to make smart choices about child custody and related issues, including a thorough explanation of child support concerns, such as:      

  • Rate formula — Though a judge can set whatever rate he or she thinks is appropriate and in the child’s best interests, child support determinations typically are based on a formula that considers each parent’s income, the number of children they share, childcare costs and health insurance premiums paid by each party.
  • Negotiations — Often, the child support formula does not adequately address the unique circumstances in a given situation. Through negotiation and mediation, our firm works to reach agreement on concerns such as educational costs, accommodations for special needs and expenses associated with sports or other extracurricular activities.
  • Disputes — If you believe that your co-parent is misreporting their income or that a noncustodial parent is earning less than they could to reduce their child support obligation, we take effective action. Rates can be set based on imputed income when a paying parent tries to avoid their responsibility.

Payments must be made until your son or daughter reaches the age of 18 and can be extended until they are 19-and-a-half if they remain in high school and live in the recipient parent’s home.

Experienced litigator takes on child support enforcement actions

Serious penalties exist for noncustodial parents who are not providing child support in accordance with the applicable order. Sometimes, these matters can be resolved informally, but if court action is needed, enforcement methods might include the garnishment of wages, suspension of a nonpayer’s driver’s license, redirection of tax refunds and contempt charges.  Our firm advocates on behalf of parents who haven’t received the funds they are entitled to as well as those who are facing unwarranted allegations of nonpayment.

Dedicated attorney represents parents in rate modification proceedings

Once a child support order is issued, parents cannot alter the terms on their own without Court intervention no matter how compelling the case for a modification might be. Even if a custodial parent refuses to abide by the terms of the parenting time plan formalized in a child support order, the noncustodial parent must still make full, timely payments. Whether the issue arises from a dispute, a job loss, medical event or something else that warrants a change, we can guide you through each step of the petition process. The Michigan Friend of the Court only grants standard reviews every 36 months, so an inappropriate order that isn’t addressed can be very costly. Generally, a change in circumstances that would trigger a change in the monthly support rate of at least 10 percent or $50 will be submitted to the court by the FOC.

Contact a child support lawyer serving Macomb and Oakland counties for a free consultation

Shatzman & Shatzman advocates on behalf of Michigan parents in initial child support proceedings as well as modification and enforcement matters and other related actions. We have offices in Rochester Hills and St. Clair Shores and provide a free consultation to discuss your issue. For an appointment, call 586-800-3018 or contact us online.